MMC Eligibility & Code of Conduct
The Modern Maturity Center promotes the physical, mental, and social well-being of its members. By providing enrichment opportunities through classes, workshops and events, participants can gain knowledge and skills, overcome isolation, gain access to essential services, and enhance their health through the congregate nutrition program and an array of fitness classes and activities. Maintaining a welcoming, orderly and safe atmosphere is essential to the successful operation of the Center.
It is the policy of the Modern Maturity Center to ensure compliance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Americans With Disabilities Act, as well as related statutes and regulations to the end that no person shall be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination on the grounds of race, color, sex, age, religion, disability or national origin.
Please read the following information carefully, sign and date, then submit the signed document to a representative at the Member Services desk.
REQUIREMENTS for MEMBERSHIP and ACTIVITY ELIGIBILITY
- Be 50 years of age or older (please note-due to funding agency regulations, some activities must be limited to participants of 60 years or older, or a fee may be assessed for participants under the age of 60).
- Designate a current emergency contact person whose information is kept up to date.
- Be able to understand and follow simple directions.
- Have the cognitive ability to recognize time and space. If an individual does not have this ability, she/he must have an aid, assistant, or caregiver present to accompany and assist them at all times.
- Be able to navigate independently in a manner safe to themselves and others, or if not, have an aid, assistant, or caregiver present to accompany and assist them at all times.
- Be ambulatory with the assistance of a wheelchair or other personal assisted device, and be able to provide and maintain any personal assisted devices for ambulation, or if not, have an aid, assistant, or caregiver present to accompany them at all times.
- Be continent of bowel and bladder or be able to self-manage incontinence tissues.
- Practice appropriate hygiene.
- Be able to care for one self (eating, toileting, etc.), or if not, have an aid, assistant, or caregiver present to accompany and assist them at all times.
Code of Conduct
a. Please, be considerate of others by setting a positive example. Treat others with kindness, courtesy, and respect. Take a moment to say hello to others or introduce yourself to a "newcomer." Modern Maturity Center's operation is dependent on volunteers and we encourage you to join our volunteer family. Volunteers should always be treated respectfully.
b. Please refrain from using abusive, threatening, insulting, or suggestive language and avoid making obscene comments, slurs, or epithets. Should you at any time be made to feel uncomfortable by the language or behavior of others, please immediately notify the Site Manager, Deputy Director or Executive Director.
c. Refrain from engaging in (or threatening) physical violence, assault, or battery, including but not limited to unwanted/unsolicited harmful touching by the use of hands, arms, feet or legs which may include pushing, kicking, biting, spitting and punching. Acts of retaliation against another member, making him/her experience feelings of fear or uneasiness, are prohibited.
d. To protect and enhance the life of our facility and furnishings, food and drinks are not permitted in the lobby areas or the Computer Lab.
e. Please, be considerate of others when using the facility. Keep feet off of chairs, tables, counters, and treat furnishings, facilities and equipment with care. Reclining or sleeping on the furniture is prohibited.
f. When using the MMC parking lot, please adhere to posted signs regarding speed and right of way. The posted speed limit for the MMC parking lot is 5 MPH.
g. Should you wish to circulate a petition or survey, sell tickets for an organization or event, or take photographs in the Center, please seek the approval of the Site Manager, Program Planner, Deputy Director or Executive Director. Some types of activities are prohibited in a public building.
In addition, all participants must not:
- Engage in any activity which is disruptive to the legitimate use of the Modern Maturity Center facilities/programs by others.
- Engage in any activity that may present a danger to themselves or others.
- Access pornography material via the internet and/or be in possession of pornography while on Modern Maturity Center property.
- Harass or discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion or disabling condition.
- Partake in gambling, panhandling, alcohol/illegal substance use or smoking (outside of designated areas) while in Modern Maturity Center facilities or on the property.
- Participate in illegal activity while at the Modern Maturity Center.
- Participate in Modern Maturity Center activities and programs while under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol.
- Be in possession of alcohol/illegal substances, firearms or other weapons at the Modern Maturity Center facilities or on the property and/or at Modern Maturity Center programming. The Board of Directors of the Modern Maturity Center has determined that the possession of a deadly weapon, as defined by 11 Delaware Code, Section 222 (5), as amended, on the premises and/or its vehicles is detrimental to the safety and welfare of members, staff, and visitors. It is prohibited. Violation of this policy may result in immediate expulsion of the offender and the matter may be reported to law enforcement officials. (“Deadly weapon” includes a firearm, as defined in subdivision (11) of this section, a bomb, a knife of any sort (other than an ordinary pocketknife carried in a closed position), switchblade knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, slingshot, razor, bicycle chain or ice pick or any dangerous instrument, as defined in subdivision (4) of this section, which is used, or attempted to be used, to cause death or serious physical injury. For the purpose of this definition, an ordinary pocketknife shall be a folding knife having a blade not more than 3 inches in length.)
- Attend a Modern Maturity Center program with illness or fever that could be transmitted to other members.
- Steal, damage, or destroy Modern Maturity Center property in the Center or on the property.
CONSEQUENCES of INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR
The above listed behaviors are considered inappropriate and therefore prohibited in all Modern Maturity Center programs. Management will determine when behavior is inappropriate and will implement any or all of the following disciplinary actions:
- Verbal discussion between staff and participant, documented in writing
- Written warning issued to participant from MMC’s Executive Director.
- Suspension of Modern Maturity Center privileges for the remainder of the day on which the incident occurred.
- 90 day suspension from participating in any Modern Maturity Center activities and programs.
- Ban from attending any Modern Maturity Center activities and programs.
- Request for assistance from police in response to dangerous or threatening circumstances or behaviors.
IV. GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES FOR PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS
The Modern Maturity Center follows the requirements established by the Delaware Division of Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities in accordance with Sec. 3027(a)(S}(B) of the Older Americans Act, which requires the establishment of a grievance procedure for older individuals who are dissatisfied with or denied services.
To file a grievance, the participant must state the complaint in writing to the Executive Director within 20 days of the occurrence. The letter shall include:
- Name, address, telephone number.
- A clear statement identifying the issue.
- A full statement about his/her position on the issue, along with pertinent facts and reasoning in support of his/her issue.
- What corrective action is being requested.
Within 10 days of receiving the above, staff will acknowledge, in writing, that the written complaint has been received. The complaint will be reviewed by the center staff and management. Within 30 days the participant will be notified, in writing, concerning the outcome of the review. The review may support, modify, reverse, or maintain the original decision. A copy of the review will be kept on file at the Modern Maturity Center.
V. APPEAL PROCESS
A participant may request an appeal if they are not satisfied with the results of the review. The appeal
should be requested, in writing, to the MMC Executive Director. The appeal hearing shall take
place within 10 days of receipt of the review. This hearing will allow the participant the opportunity to
present a statement of facts and additional pertinent information. Center staff will notify the participant in writing regarding the date, time, and location of the appeal.
The appeal hearing will take place before the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors. The Modern Maturity Center will issue a written final decision to the participant within 10 days after the meeting.
VI. MEMBERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
As a member of the Modern Maturity Center;
- I accept the responsibility of keeping my contact information on this form up to date.
- I am aware that while participating in any physical fitness activity or program at the Modern Maturity Center, certain risks and dangers may be present.
- I attest to and verify that I have full knowledge of the risks involved in physical fitness activities and that I have obtained approval from my physician to participate in such activities.
- I consent to the Modern Maturity Center’s use of photographs and/or videotaping made of participants.
I acknowledge that I have received and read the Modern Maturity Center Membership and Activity Eligibility Requirements and fully understand the membership requirements.
- I do hereby release and forever discharge the Modern Maturity Center agents, employees, and volunteers from any and all actions, causes of actions, liability, claims or demands for or by reason of any damage, loss, or injury which may be sustained by me as a result of my participation at the Modern Maturity Center.
- Name (please print) Signature
- Today’s Date
- The Modern Maturity Center reserves the right to rescind the membership of an individual who cannot satisfy the membership requirements, and/or behavioral policies stated in the Modern Maturity Center Membership and Activity Eligibility Requirements